Tuesday, July 2, 2019

LiFePO4 is Feeling Good

I made my first downtown run (700 foot elevation change) on my new, used lithium iron pack. First thing to note, the discharge rate is higher on the fatter 26650 cylindrical cells which makes hill climbing a breeze just on 48V (no need to overvolt the controller).

Also, the world of weird charging strategies has opened back up. Since these are hooked up in 12V packs in series, I can charge each pack with a standard lead acid 12V charger. And now I'll be able to go back to solar charging configurations seeing as the solar charge controller was built for a 12V pack.

But so far charging is slow. It takes more than 8 hours to charge a ~20Ah 12V pack using like a 2A charger. I'll probably try hooking chargers in parallel again to get faster rates. More to come... hopefully...

No comments:

Post a Comment